Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thinking through Writing

I haven't written here in a long time, it seems. I've just been insanely busy. For a while, it was the kids keeping me busy-- the last month of school is always crazy with award dinners, field trips, and all sorts of events. Now it is just the early summer crazies that is keeping me from posting here.

I tend to spread myself too thin. I've tried out some other online journaling places, but this is the only thing I have really stuck with. I realize that this site is of limited interest to the general public, but I like to put things up here so that friends can keep track of me, and more importantly, because writing about all the mundane crap in my life helps me sort things out for myself. Writing helps me organize the chaos in my mind. When I try to categorize it too much, starting a blog here about losing weight, one over there about my love life, another over yonder about what's going on in the wide world of PC games, I end up posting a lot of nothing everywhere, and my thoughts never quite clear up. All that categorization just promotes the havoc my brain is wreaking inside my skull 24/7.

With that said, I've been working on my silly little game site, gobbomania.com. I had shut it down and let it die, but I am putting it back together now. I am using TikiWiki, which I really like a lot. It's now a fan site for two completely different games (The Chronicle and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes). I've decided to treat it as a hobby, a little something to mess with in the evenings while I wait to see how the aforementioned games turn out.

I've been considering starting another site or blog to give kitchen and household advice, based on my wealth of experience in those areas, having learned most of it the hard way. I know there are a million of those things out there, but I should have the street cred to make it something people look at-- I am the one sweeping up the cereal path from the cabinet to the area in front of the TV, not the one suggesting you spend all afternoon baking a cake to look like a theme park. I know arcane secrets, like how to re-heat leftover spaghetti to be nearly good as new. (Here's your arcane household tip of the day... Try bleaching your whites in cold water instead of hot.)

I have been considering applying for an associate designer position with Sigil Games Online in order to put my extensive RPG and MMORPG experience to use. I don't know if they'd even consider hiring me, since my work history isn't much to look at. I've mostly been a housewife, after all, and that's not something that many people look on too favorably. But while I haven't been employed outside the home much, I have continued playing RPGs and MMORPGs, and I have spent more time than the average bear thinking and writing about games. So, maybe I'll give it a shot. The worst thing that can happen is that someone in HR on the other side of the country laughs and ditches my resume.

Ah, well. Time to go practice a little housewifery. Dishes don't do themselves, unfortunately, and using the disposable sort is cost prohibitive when you're broke and you've got 8 people to feed.